• Most common blood type• many transfused blood type• can be given to many patients• totality blood and double red cell needed most
9% that the U.S. Population has O- blood
• universal red blood cabinet donor• have the right to be given to all patients• have the right to only receive O- blood• totality blood and twin red cells essential most
30% of the U.S. Population has A+ blood
• Tremendous need for A+ platelets• 2nd most typical blood type• consider platelet pheresis together the best method to help
6% of the U.S. Populace has A- blood
• rarely blood type• Donate whole blood or automatic red cells• Plasma and platelet pheresis are additionally needed
9% the the U.S. Populace has B+ blood
• have the right to donate only to B+ and also AB+ patients• deserve to receive many blood types• Donate platelets, plasma and red cells
2% that the U.S. Population has B- blood
• very rare blood type• Donate whole blood or automatically red cells• Plasma and platelet pheresis are additionally needed
4% the the U.S. Populace has AB+ blood
• an extremely rare blood type• can donate only to AB+ patients• global Plasma donor• Plasma and platelet pheresis is the best method to help
1% the the U.S. Population has AB- blood
• Rarest that blood types• deserve to donate only to abdominal muscle patients• universal Plasma donor• Plasma and also platelet pheresis is the best way to help
Blood is a living tissue written of blood cell suspended in plasma.
You are watching: How many ml in a unit of blood
The to move elements, red blood cells, white blood cells and also platelets – do up about 45% the the volume of totality blood. Plasma, which is 92% water, provides up the staying 55%.
The median adult has actually 8 – 12 pints that blood traveling almost everywhere his or she body through the heart, lungs, arteries, veins and capillaries. Blood is critical part of ours bodies the transports oxygen, nutrients, and metabolic waste. In enhancement to all that, blood performs this functions:Replenishes oxygen and also removes carbon dioxideDistributes crucial nutrients come cellsCarries far metabolic waste products for disposalRecognizes antigens (foreign substances) and also produces antitoxin (immune defense mechanisms)Clots cuts, wounds and also scratches to stop bleeding
How is blood used?
Blood and also its components have numerous uses.
Hospitals stock several of the an ext common blood materials used in emergencies, but usually blood commodities are not ordered until they space needed. Castle are preserved at the Rock flow Valley Blood center until a hospital orders them.
Red cells have the right to be offered for 42 work after they are donated. Castle are supplied in the therapy of accident victims, to replace blood lost throughout surgery, come treat burn victims and to rise the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. They are likewise used in the therapy of anemia that can’t be medically corrected.
Platelets are stored separate from other components and also must be offered in the five days following the donation. They are typically used to treat bone marrow failure, leukemia and also cancer patients, low platelet count or other conditions causing abnormally work platelets.
Plasma has actually a much much longer shelf life and is regularly frozen for later on use. Once thawed, plasma is used during cardiac surgery, for burn victims, and also to act bleeding disorders. For example, bleeding obstacle can occur in liver failure, once too much of a blood thinner has actually been provided or when severe bleeding and also massive transfusions an outcome in low levels of coagulation factors.
Plasma is frequently used to make therapies because that bleeding disorders:
Factor VII concentrate is offered in the treatment and prevention the bleeding episodes.
Factor VIII concentrate and also cryoprecipitate are provided by patients through hemophilia A (classic hemophilia), i beg your pardon is brought about by a deficiency of factor VIII. Cryoprecipitate is prepared from plasma and also contains fibrinogen, von Willebrand factor, aspect VIII, aspect XIII and also fibronectin.
Factor IX concentrate is provided by patients v hemophilia B (“Christmas disease”), i m sorry is led to by a deficiency the clotting factor IX.
A transfusion is a procedure that replaces the blood shed by a patient through the blood the a generosity donor favor you!
After you give your blood, when you’re snacking ~ above cookies and showing turn off your arm wrap, her blood starts its trip to conserve lives! through one donation, girlfriend can help save as many as approximately 3 lives. No wonder chrischona2015.org donors and also volunteers feeling so amazing. And, who ever before thought conserving lives could be this easy?
01. anyone in an excellent health, at least 17 years old (or 16 year old with parental consent – click here for consent form), and at the very least 110 pounds might donate entirety blood every 56 days.02. 4.5 million American stays are saved yearly by blood transfusions.03. 40,000 pints of donated blood are offered each work in the joined States.04. Someone demands blood every 2 seconds.
06. up to 3 resides are saved by one pint the donated blood.07. in between 8-12 pints of blood are in the human body of an median adult.08. One unit the blood is ~525 mL, which is approximately the indistinguishable of one pint.09. A newborn infant has around one cup of blood in his body.10. The average transfusion patient receives 3 units of red blood cells.11. A, B, ab and O room the four main species of blood types. Abdominal muscle is the universal recipient, O an unfavorable is the universal donor.12. Blood centers regularly run short of types O and B blood.
14. The actual blood donation commonly takes less than ten minutes. The entire procedure from the time you authorize in to the moment you leave takes around an hour.15. giving blood will certainly not decrease your strength.
17. Red blood cells lug oxygen come the body’s organs and also tissue.18. There room one exchange rate red blood cells in 2 to 3 drops the blood.19. Platelets support blood clotting and also give those v leukemia and also other cancers a opportunity to live.20. The shelf life of donated red blood cells is 42 days.21. The shelf life of donated platelets is 5 days.22. auto accident and also blood lose victims may need transfusions the 50 pints or more of red blood cells.
24. severe burn victims might need 20 units of platelets during their treatment.25. kids being treated because that cancer, premature birth infants and children having actually heart surgery require blood and platelets from donors of every types.26. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and patients undergoing open-heart surgery often require platelet transfusions to survive.27. 500,000 american donated blood in the days following the September 11th attacks.
28. 94% that blood donors are registered voters.29. Bone marrow transplant patients can use as much as 120 platelets and also red blood cells from about 20 people.
See more: How To Make Tree In Little Alchemy How To Make Tree In Little Alchemy
30. 17% the non-donors mention “never thought about it” together the key reason for no giving, when 15% to speak they’re as well busy. The #1 reason donors say they give is because they “want to aid others.”