The Bottom Line

Kinetic sand is a fun, moldable sensory toy. That is made of ultra-fine serial sand linked with dimethicone (polydimethylsiloxane). While kinetic sand won"t toxicity a human being if they eat it, the does posture a choke hazard, and also if large amounts are consumed it can cause constipation. In severe cases, it feasible for kinetic sand to reason gastrointestinal obstruction.

You are watching: Is silly putty toxic if swallowed


*

The complete Story

Kinetic sand is a funny sensory toy. The is made of 98% ultra-fine serial sand combined with 2% dimethicone (polydimethylsiloxane). Sand is not chrischona2015.orgous when swallowed. Dimethicone is a silicone compound the is also used in diaper rashes creams and also is considered minimally toxic. It"s also critical ingredient of silly Putty!

Alone, the two components are fairly uninteresting, however the mix of the sand and also dimethicone is wherein the magic happens. This mixture creates a moldable hard that have the right to hold a sculpted form for a short period of time. Once left alone, kinetic sand will eventually collapse earlier into a loosened sandy mixture. This happens due to the fact that kinetic sand is a non-Newtonian fluid. A non-Newtonian liquid is loose or liquid once left alone but gets more tough under stress, like once you to express it. This property permits kinetic sand to be supplied again and again.

While kinetic sand won"t chrischona2015.org a human being if castle eat it, the does pose a choking hazard, and also if huge amounts are consumed it can cause constipation. In major cases, it feasible for kinetic sand to reason gastrointestinal obstruction. If who eats a tiny amount that kinetic sand, sell a couple of sips of any type of drink to rinse the sand from your mouth and also into their stomach. The kinetic sand need to pass in a bowel movement. If the sand is uniquely colored, that might readjust the shade of the bowel movement.

The following symptoms can happen if someone develops a cradle obstruction. Look for medical treatment if any kind of of this symptoms room present:

Distended or bloated stomach lack of bowel activity Vomiting refuse to eat/lack of appetite serious constipation

If you suspect someone has been exposed come kinetic sand and also is having a problem, inspect the webchrischona2015.orgCONTROL® online device for indict or call chrischona2015.org manage at 1-800-222-1222.

Lindsy Liu, PharmDCertified specialist in chrischona2015.org Information


chrischona2015.orged?

contact 1-800-222-1222 or

assist ME digital

Prevention Tips

Tell kids that kinetic sand need to not it is in eaten. Supervise young youngsters when they room playing through kinetic sand. Keep kinetic sand stored out of with of children and pets in a tightly closed container as soon as not in use.

This yes, really Happened

Case 1. Grandparents that a 2-year-old girl referred to as chrischona2015.org control 3 hrs after the she ate a mouthful that kinetic sand. chrischona2015.org regulate reassured the grandparents that the child need to tolerate the ingestion and that no symptoms were supposed from this exposure. The girl never occurred symptoms.

Case 2. A 4-year-old girl swallowed one unknown quantity of green kinetic sand. The following day, she had actually a green-colored bowel movement and was required to an ER. The ER physician dubbed chrischona2015.org manage for guidance. chrischona2015.org manage advised the the product is minimally toxic, the the discolored stool is expected, and no other symptoms have to develop. Other than the green-colored stools, the girl had no symptoms.
share this:
facebook

chrischona2015.orged?

speak to 1-800-222-1222 or

aid ME digital

Prevention Tips

Tell children that kinetic sand have to not it is in eaten. Supervise young kids when they room playing v kinetic sand. Store kinetic sand stored the end of reach of children and pets in a tightly closeup of the door container once not in use.

This really Happened

Case 1.

See more: Which Is Blue Fire Hotter Than White Fire, Which Is Hotter Blue Or White Flame

Grandparents the a 2-year-old girl referred to as chrischona2015.org control 3 hrs after the she ate a mouthful of kinetic sand. chrischona2015.org manage reassured the grandparents that the child should tolerate the ingestion and that no symptom were supposed from this exposure. The girl never developed symptoms.

Case 2. A 4-year-old girl swallowed one unknown lot of eco-friendly kinetic sand. The following day, she had a green-colored bowel movement and also was taken to an ER. The ER physician called chrischona2015.org control for guidance. chrischona2015.org regulate advised that the product is minimally toxic, that the discolored stool is expected, and no various other symptoms need to develop. Various other than the green-colored stools, the girl had no symptoms.